Cholangiocarcinoma Bile Duct Cancer
Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer)
It is a malignancy of bile ducts which carry bile juice from liver to your digestive tract. It is a rare cancer which occur mostly in people older than 50 years. The function of bile is to help in digestion of fatty material present in the food. There are three types of cholangiocarcinoma base on the location of malignancy which include:
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma
- Hilar cholangiocarcinoma
- Distal cholangiocarcinoma
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of cholangiocarcinoma:
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
The main cause of cancer is the mutation in the DNA and the genetic material of the cells of bile ducts. Mutation causes changing in the machinery of cell which instruct the cell to do the normal function.
Your doctor might recommend the following test to diagnosis the cholangiocarcinoma:
- Tumor marker test to check the specific marker of liver related cancer like CA 19-9.
- Imaging test to check the extent of disease
- Liver function test to evaluate the other causes
- Blood test to check the complete blood count
Treatment options include:
- To kill the cancerous cells before the liver transplant to reduce the tumor mass.
- To remove the diseases bile ducts
- Liver transplant. If the overall liver is involved in malignancy.
- Biliary drainage. To open the obstruction by stent and improve the bile flow.