Achilles Tendon Rapture
Achilles Tendon Rupture
It is the injury of Achilles tendon which is present at the back of lower leg. It occurs to anyone but mostly occur in people who play sports.
The function of this fibrous tendon is to join the leg calf muscles to the heel bone. It can be tear completely or partially by overstretching the tendon.
After tearing sharp pain followed by inability to walk with affected leg. Pain radiates to the lower leg as well. Sometime surgery may be required to repair the tendon but sometime non-surgical treatment work well.
Usually there is no sign and symptoms present in mild case but most people have the following
- A popping sound when injury occurs.
- Pain in the heel and lower leg.
- Edema and swelling present at affected area.
- Difficulty in walking
- Inability to stand up on the toes.
Raptures mostly occur due to increase tension and force to the Achilles tendon.
Like increasing the sport activity, stepping into a hole, falling from height.
Following tips may reduce the chance of tearing the Achilles tendon.
- Stretch and strengthen your calf muscles.
- Increase training intensity gradually.
- Vary your exercise.
- Choose running surface carefully.
- Wear comfortable shoes
Your doctor will diagnosis by doing physical examination to check the tenderness and swelling at affected area. There is a gap in your tendon if it completely raptured. Doctor may ask you some question regarding injury. He/she will also check the reflexes of your foot. To check whether it is partial or complete tearing your doctor may order an ultrasound and x-ray.
Treatment strategy depend upon the age, activity level and severity of injury. Sportsmen and children usually prefer surgery to repaired the completely tear out tendon. While people with more age prefer non-surgical treatment.
- Rub ice to the affected area to reduce swelling.
- Taking painkillers.
- Resting the leg.
- Use immobilizer for ankle for first few weeks.
Surgery involved the incision at back of lower leg and repair the raptured tendon.
There is a risk of infection and nerve damage in the surgical option.
After treated the rapture by any treatment, there is a need of physical therapy exercises to start the walking and running again with the affected leg. Physical therapy helps you to strengthen your calf muscle.
- Rest your, avoid putting force directly.
- Ice the area to reduce swelling.
- Take anti-inflammatory pain killer.
- Used immobilizer to prevent movement.