Alzheimer defines as the progressive degenerative disease of neurons (brain cells). It causes the dementia, reduces thinking ability and decline the ability to perform routine work effectively. Alzheimer cause the memory loss and impairment.
Main sign of alzheimer disease is the memory impairment. It is worsened with the time if it not treated well. Signs and symptoms include:
- Forget address of familiar places
- Repeat sentences
- Question again and again
- Forget the name of family members
- Reduce thinking ability
- Forget the basic routine work like bathing, brushing etc.
- Personality and behavioral changes
Exact cause of Alzheimer disease is not fully understand but it is assumed that abnormality in the function of certain brain chemical play their role in the damage of brain cells. Toxic substance accumulated in the brain also causes damage to the neurons. Following are the two protein which causes the toxic effect to the brain include:
- Beta-amyloid. It is a remaining piece of a large protein, when these pieces cluster together and cause the damage to the neurons.
- They perform the normal transport and internal support function in the brain but in alzheimer disease they change their shape and disrupt the normal brain substances.
- Communication problem
Diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease is best to assess my history of signs and symptoms. Following tests include to assess the dementia and memory impairment:
- Neurological and physical tests to assess the reflexes, coordination and muscles strength
- Imaging of brain to check any mass or tumor
- Blood test to rule out any other cause of memory impairment
Drugs help to relieve the symptoms only, if the damage occurs it doesn’t recover. Following are the treatment options:
- Cholinesterase inhibitors
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
A healthy life routine and habits provide good outcomes.
- Eat healthy food
- Stay hydrated
- Exercise daily
- Take high calories healthy food
- Reading books