It is rare type of cancer which is occur in the digestive tract. Ampulla of vater is a point where pancreatic and bile duct open in the small intestions and pour their secretion into the digestive tract. It may affect the other organs like pancreas liver and small intestine because of their location.
Ampullary cancer includes the following signs and symptoms:
- Clay colored stool
- Weight loss
The exact cause of ampullary cancer is still not known. Generally cancer start with the mutation in DNA which change the normal function of the tissue and organ due to which certain abnormalities developed which cause the cancer.
Your doctor might recommend the following test:
- Endoscopy to visualize the condition of your stomach and digestive tract and to take a piece of cancerous tissue for biopsy.
- Ultrasound to check the growth of tumor and mass.
- Blood test to check the complete blood count.
Treatment includes the following option:
- Chemotherapy along with radiation therapy
- Surgery to remove the cancerous cell
- Surgery through the endoscopy
- Medicationa to prevent the inflammation and to reduce the pain