It is rare type of cancer which arise in the anal canal which is the short canal joint the rectum superiorly and anal opening inferiorly.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of anal cancer:
- Mass growth in the canal
- Bleeding from the anal opening
- Weight loss
- Pain in the affected area
Exact cause of anal cancer is not known yet. But it may be assumed that mutation is the major factor which play the role in cancer developed. Mutation cause the changing in DNA due to which growth is uncontroll and increase the growth of abnormal cells which disrupt the normal function of anal canal. Some sexually transmitted virus also play their role in the development of anal cancer like human papillomavirus.
Complications associated with metastasis of tumor to the distant part of the body. But in case of anal cancer it is rarely occurs if occur then liver is the most common site of metastasis.
Your doctor might recommend the following tests:
- Physical examination of anal canal to check the growth
- Endoscopy of rectum to visualize the tumor growth
- Ultrasound to check the extent of disease
- Biopsy to confirm the cancerous growth
Treatment include the following options:
- Chemotherapy to killed the cancerous cells
- Radiation therapy use the x-rays and proton to kill the offending cells.
- Surgery to remove the tumor
- Immunotherapy to strong the immune response of patient
- Medication to relief the symptoms like painkiller and anti-inflammatory.