It is generally a common condition in which there is pruritus or itching around the area of the anus. Severity may vary from mild to intense itching. This is an uncomfortable and embarrassing condition.
Signs and symptoms of anal itching include:
- Redness around the affected area
- Burning sensation
- Anal bleeding due to scratching
- Anal pruritus
Following are the possible causes of anal itching:
- Infections from sexually transmitted organism or certain worms
- Skin conditions like psoriasis and dermatitis
- Irritants from certain substances like soap, fecal incontinence.
- Medical conditions like diabetes and thyroid problem.
Diagnosis is usually made by asking some question regarding family history and about self-hygiene. Your doctor may perform the physical examination of anal area to evaluate the other conditions.
Basic treatment of anal itching is to maintain self-hygiene and taking anti-itching medications. If your symptoms does not resolve with this medication then your doctor may prescribe the antihistamine.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Home remedies includes:
- Clean the area with mild soap
- Gently wash the area,don’t scratch
- Wear soft cotton cloth and undergarments
- Avoid any irritating bathing soap or gel
- Apply ointment to reduce itching
- Maintain your bowel habits