This is a condition which is related to inability to sweat properly. This condition could be lethal and can result in heat stroke because when body can’t sweat properly, it heats up. It can be generalized or can be localized to some area. Hypohidrosis is the synonym of this condition.
Clinical features include;
- Little or absence of sweating
- Flushed skin
- Intolerance to hot
- Muscle pain
Anhidrosis occur when there is either genetic disorder or lack of function of any sweat glands due to defective nerves. Main causes are;
- Congenital condition like dysplasias affect the sweat glands
- Metabolism affecting congenital disease like fabry’s disease.
- Disorders of connective tissue like Sjogren’s syndrome.
- Different degree of burns and radiation therapy can lead to the development of anhidrosis.
- Neuropathy and certain drugs like botulinum toxin type A.
Complications are related to increase heat buildup in the body and are;
- Muscle cramp and pain .
- Heat exhaustion.
- Heat stroke.
Doctor confirm the condition by checking the sign and symptoms of patient along with detailed medical history as well as general physical examination but certain tests are done to rule out the problem
- Thermoregulatory Sweat test
- Biopsy of skin
If anhidrosis is mild and localized it doesn’t require any treatment. If it is generalized than the cause which is leading to anhidrosis is treated.