In this condition there is inflammation of appendix which is the finger like pouch shaped structure presents at lower colon on lower right side of abdomen.
Appendicitis presents as:
- Acute pain at lower right portion of abdomen
- Pain usually starts at navel point and radiates to lower right portion of abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Decrease appetite
- Low grade fever
- Abdomen bloating and flatulence
Major cause is the infection of appendix lining that occur because of blockage. Infection occur resulting in pus formation. Appendix may rupture if not treated.
- Rupture of appendix
- Abscess formation in abdomen
- Detailed history of pain and its relation.
- Complete general physical and abdomen examination
- Blood test
- Urine test
- Imaging test like CT scan, MRI etc
Major treatment options are:
- Appendectomy is usually done which involves the removal of inflamed appendix.
- Drainage of abscess is necessary before undergoing surgery.
- Limit your physical hectic activities after appendectomy
- Use pillow or other things to support abdomen during coughing.
- Sleep more to be healed properly after appendectomy
- If pain medications are not working consult your doctor.