This condition occur by chronic inhalation of asbestos fibers. The long term inhalation leads to scarring and problematic breathing. Asbestos is a mineral product resistant to heat and corrosion. This condition can be occupational acquired.
Symptoms are shown after 10 to 40 years of exposure and include:
- Problematic breathing
- Chronic cough
- Decrease appetite and weight loss
- Clubbing of nails
- Pain and tightness of chest
Main cause of asbestosis is the accumulation of asbestos fibers in the alveoli due to long term inhalation of fibers. Fibers become logged and lead to scarring of tissue which ultimately causes lung tissue stiffness. After a long time scarring become so severe that lungs can notbe expand properly.
- Risk of lung cancer increases if person smokes too.
- Infrequently malignant mesothelioma can also occur
Its quite difficult to detect this condition. Some investigations and tests are done like:
- General physical examination
- Imaging tests like CT scan and chest X-ray
- Pulmonary function test
- Other diagnostic tests are bronchoscopy, biopsy or thoracentesis.
Some treatment options are:
- There’s is no proper cure for this however, some therapy like susupplement oxygen can help to ease in breathing.
- Lung transplantation surgery can be considered if condition is severe.
- Quite smoking as it increases the risk of lung cancer.
- Get your flu and pneumonia vaccination
- Limit further asbestos exposure.