This condition occur due to ringworm infestation. These worm act as a parasite of the body and get mature from larvae to adult. It is the most common worm infection worldwide.
Signs and symptoms occur in the lungs as well as in the intestine. They are:
- Chronic persistent cough
- Troubled breathing
- Vague abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea or blood in stool (melena)
- Weight loss
- Worm present in stool or vomitus
Ascariasis is caused by the infection of ascarias ringworm. This ringworm is transmitted when human comes in contact with food or any substance that has human or pigh feces that has ringworm eggs or larvae. When any person ingest uncooked pig they can also get the infection.
- Delay growth in children because inability to absorb nutrients from gut
- Blockage of intestine and perforations causing internal haemorrhages or even appendicitis.
- Blockage of duct of liver and pancreas causing severe pain
Diagnosis involve detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of patient. Other tests and investigations include:
- Stool test
- Blood test
- Imaging tests including X-rays, CT scan, MRI and ultrasound.
- Oral medications are mostly prescribed like Albendazole (Albenza), Ivermectin (Stromectol), Mebendazole. For pregnant ladies pyrantel palmoate is prescribed.
- If severe complications occur like Intestinal blockage or holes, bile duct blockage, and appendicitis then surgery is required.