Ascites is the accumulation of fluid in abdominal cavity, most often it happens after chronic liver disease i.e. Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Cirrhosis or liver cancer. Other causes are portal hypertension,heart failure, TB, cancer, pancreatitis, infected peritonitis.
Signs and Symptoms of Ascites:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Increase in weight
- Difficulty in breathing
- Increase in the size of Belly
- Loss of appetite
- Umbilical herniation
- Liver cirrhosis
- Intestinal bleeding
- Kidney Failure
- Weight loss
- Hepatic encephalopathy, Coma , Death
Physical examination by doctor, history taking, and symptoms are enough to make diagnosis, which can be confirmed by Ultrasound, CT scan, Paracentesis (Punture the abdomin and take liquid for confirmation and lab test), CBC, Urine, Liver Function Test, Electrolytes.
- Diuretics: Furosemide, Spironolactone, to push fluid out of body with the help of kidneys.
- Paracentesis: If condition is severe and amount is fluid is high.
- Diet Change: Low Salt, Low Liquids, avoid alcohol
- Liver transplant