This is the medical condition that occur due to swelling of airway and production of extra mucus leading to narrowing of airway. This condition makes breathing difficult with wheezing during each breath.
Although the symptoms vary from person to person. General symptoms are as follows:
- Problematic breathing
- Chest pain
- Wheezing on exhalation
- Troubled sleeping due to shortness of breath
- Coughing attack
- All the signs and symptoms become worse and bothering in long term condition
- Some people asthma worsen on certain condition like: Exercise induced, occupational induced or allergy induced.
It is not cleared yet the exact cause of asthma. However, some genetical and environmental factors contribute in the development of asthma. Some asthma triggers are:
- Airborne allergens
- Physical activity
- Cold air
- Infections of respiratory tract
- Pollutants of air
- Some medication
- Strong emotions
- Sulfites or other preservatives in the food
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Worsening of symptoms interfering with normal routine
- Permanent narrowing of bronchial tubes
- Side effects from the medications used to manage asthmatic attacks
Diagnosis of asthma first require complete general physical examination along with detailed history of the condition. Other tests include:
- Peak flow meter evaluation
- Methacholine challenge
- Imaging test like X-ray, CT scan.
- Allergy test
- Nitrooxide test
- Sputum eosinophills
- Testing for cold or exercise induced asthma
- Prevention and long term care is the first line of treatment.
- Medications like inhaled corticosteroids, leukotriene modifiers, combination inhalers and theophylline are prescribed.
- for acute attacks short acting beta agonist, Anticholinergic agents, Oral and intravenous corticosteroids are prescribed.
- Other treatment approach is bronchial thermoplasty.
- Avoid the allergen or any substance that trigger asthma attack
- Maintain healthy weight according to your BMI
- Quit smoking
- Be active and exercise regularly.
- Keep in control heart burn condition and GERD
- Breathing exercises and herbal medications can also relieve the condition.