Astrocytoma is a malignant type of tumor present in the central nervous system which involves brain and spinal cord. It starts in the cells surrounding other nerve cells called as astrocytes. It can be slow growing or aggressive in nature.
Signs and symptoms depends upon the location which is affected by the tumor. Major symptoms are
- Weakness and paralysis of the part of body innervated by particular nerve from spinal cord.
Diagnosis of the condition involves following tests:
- Complete neurological and general physical examination
- Imaging test including CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging test, positron emission tomography(PET)
Treatment options include:
- Astrocytoma removal by surgery
- Radiation therapy
- Palliative care to improve the quality of life
- Clinical trials of new treatment studies