It is a condition in which your nerves are damage which control the involuntary functions body like digestion, blood pressure, temperature control, sexual function and bladder function. Due to autonomic neuropathy your brain transmission function is damage.
Signs and symptoms of autonomic neuropathy include:
- Urinary incontinence
- Digestion problem
- Sexual difficulties
- Exercise intolerance
There are many causes of autonomic neuropathy and generally it is associated with some other disease. Some time it occurs due the side effect of cancer treatment of chemotherapy. Some causes include:
- Autoimmune disease like Sjogren’s syndrome, SLE, and celiac disease.
- Diabetes is the most common cause of autonomic neuropathy.
- Chemotherapy medications
- Sometime inherited disorder may cause Autonomic neuropathy.
It is a complex disease and associated with other disease so it is difficult to diagnosis autonomic neuropathy, your doctor might recommend the following test to diagnosis the autonomic neuropathy:
- Tilt-table test to check the changes in blood pressure and heart rate in according to posture changes.
- Blood test to check the complete count of blood cells.
- Breathing test
- Gastric emptying test to check the function of autonomic nervous system.
- Ultrasound of bladder and pelvic area.
- Urinary test to check the function of bladder.
Following are the treatment option of autonomic neuropathy:
- Dietary changes may reduce the gastric symptoms like increase fiber and fluid content in your diet.
- Take medication to control the constipation
- Treat the underlying cause if it occurs due to any other disease.
- Use medication to empty the bladder like bethanechol.
- Use medication for erection for sexual activity.
- Medication to control the blood pressure and heart rate.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
Along with right treatment your lifestyle will decide the outcomes of treatment. Following tips will help you to cope up with this condition:
- Make movement slowly to prevent the dizziness
- Eat more fibers to prevent the constipation
- Elevate the bed to prevent the low blood pressure
- Control the diabetes with medicine and diet