It is the inflammatory condition of vagina which occur due to the increase growth of the naturally occurring bacteria. Increase growth of bacteria may disturb the normal PH. of vaginal fluid. It is commonly occurred in women in their reproductive age.
Sign and symptom include:
- Burning sensation during urination
- Vaginal itching
- Fishy smell vaginal fluid odor
- White, gray or green colored vaginal discharge.
It is occurred due to the over growth of the bacteria which is normally present at the vagina as normal flora called lactobacilli. Which disturb the natural ph. Of the vaginal fluid and vaginal environment.
If left untreated it may lead to the following complications:
- Vaginal infection.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Increase the risk of sexually transmitted infection like gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Preterm birth if woman is infected during pregnancy.
Your doctor might recommend the following test to diagnosis the vaginosis:
- Physical examination of pelvic to check the signs of inflammation and tenderness.
- Laboratory test of vaginal fluid which show the clue cells, which is diagnostic characteristic of bacterial vaginosis.
- Blood test to rule out the other causes of infection.
- Check the pH of vaginal fluid.
Treatment option include:
- Tinidazole for orally taken
- Clindamycin cream
- Metronidazole to treat the infection