It is defined as the condition when urination occur involuntary during the sleep at night time after the age when child is able to learn to stop urination voluntary. It is also known as nocturnal enuresis. It occurs in children before the age of 7 years. It may cause an embracement to the child to wake up with wet trouser.
Generally, kids are well trained to toilet after the age of 5, but due to some problem some child not hold their urine voluntary. There is problem in the bladder control. It occurs in the children of age 5 to 7 years old.
Some possible causes of bed-wetting may include:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Urinary tract infection
- Sleep apnea
- Inability to stop the urination voluntary
- A small bladder
- Chronic constipation
- Problem in nervous system
Complications are not that much serious which include:
- Rashes at the genital area
- Low self esteem
- Your child may avoid social activities like camping and sleepovers
- Risk of infection increase if child sleep with wet clothes
Your doctor may diagnosis the underlying cause by recommend the following tests:
- General physical examination
- Take medical history
- Asked about eating habits
- X-ray of bladder and kidney to rule out the other condition
- Urinary analysis to check any other cause
Treatment of bed-wetting problem include the many options your doctor may recommend the one after taking your history and check the underlying cause. Caffeine and soft drinks limitation may also reduce the symptoms. There are certain medications also available for this problem like desmopressin and oxybutynin may help to reduce the urination.
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Decrease fluid intake after 6pm.
- Change wet cloth as early as possible to prevent the risk of infection
- Avoid caffeine and soft drinks
- Encourage toilet use more regularly