It is the most common skin condition in which hair follicles become overloaded with oil , sebum and dead skin cells appearing as whiteheads, blackheads and pimples on mostly oil prone areas like nose, forehead and neck. Mostly teenagers are affected.
Mostly patients presents with the complain of having
- Papules ( which are small painful bumps on skin)
- Cystic lesions
However, the presence of following conditions is considered as medical emergency.
- Breathing problems
- Swelling and edema of face , lips, eyes, tongue.
- Tight congested feeling in throat
- Oil prone skin
- Untidy skin leading to accumulation of dead skin in pores.
- Bacterial infection
- Hyperactivity of androgens hormones
Factors that may worsen acne
There are many factors that can stimulate or even increases the severity of acne. Hormone androgen low level in the blood can worsen the acne in women. Also, during pregnancy hormonal imbalance is another factor. Certain medication and diet like chips, bagels shows results of worse acne outbreak. Stress can sometimes trigger acne production.
Having greasy food or using too much makeup shows little or no effect on the production of acne. If you use oil-free products and remove your makeup every time there are very little chance for you to get acne.
Acne medication usually help you are control oil production and combat bacterial infection. Different medication can be prescribed by doctor. Topical medication like retinoids, antibiotics, salicylic acid,azelic acid, dapsone or oral medication like oral antibiotics, combined oral contraceptives, antiandrogenic drugs. Other than medication there are several therapies like laser and photodynamic therapy, chemical peel, extraction of whiteheads and blackheads, steroid injection.
- Maintaining proper cleanliness and wash with mild soaps and scrubs.
- First try over-the-counter medication for excess oil.
- Always use oil free products unless you have very dry skin.
- Avoid scrubbing so hard on your face.
- Always use sunscreen while stepping out of home.
- To avoid breakout shower after exercise or heavy physical working.