This condition defines as the backward flow of bile into the stomach. Bile is producing into the liver and help in digestion of fatty food. It sometimes refluxes into the esophagus also. It is an annoying condition a lead to the complication like GERD and Barrett esophagus.
The signs and symptoms mimic the gastric reflux disease. Sometime both conditions occur simultaneously:
- Sore throat
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
Bile reflux into the stomach is occur due to the un-complete closure of the pyloric valve so that bile juice flow back into the stomach and causes irritation. In esophagus it occurs due to the weaken of the lower esophageal sphincter.
If left untreated it may lead to the following complications:
- Barret esophagus in which lining of the esophagus is damage due to irritation cause by the acid present in bile.
- GERD due to increase bile in the esophagus.
- Barret esophagus may lead to the esophageal cancer.
After taking history and conduct the physical examination your doctor may recommend the following test to confirm the diagnosis:
- Blood test to check the any infectious cause of heart burning.
- Endoscopy to see condition of your stomach and esophagus.
- Acid test to measuring the pH in stomach and esophagus.
- Imaging test to check the extent of diseases.
Along with healthy lifestyles medication will give you a better outcome of treatment. Medication include:
- Proton pump inhibitors to reduce the acid secretion.
- Ursodeoxycholic acid to increase the flow of bile which reduce the signs and symptoms.
- Bile acid sequestrants to reduce the bile concentration.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Avoid fatty foods.
- Eat in a smaller portion
- Avoid smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Maintain healthy weight
- Raise your head during sleep
- Avoid soft drinks