Brain stroke is occurred when there is reduce blood supply to the brain and causes ischemia of brain substances then hypoxic injury cause death of brain cells.
Stroke required immediate attention to prevent the serious damage to the brain. Signs and symptoms include:
- Difficulty in speaking
- Vision problems
- Difficulty in walking
Generally, stroke occur due to two abnormalities in the blood vasculature one is blocking of artery and one is leaking of blood vessels. There are three types of strokes:
- Hemorrhagic stroke. It is occurred due to the hypertension, aneurysm and use of anticoagulants drugs.
- Transient ischemic attack. is also known as mini stroke occur due to the temporary period of ischemia.
- Ischemic stroke. This is occurred due to the blockage of blood vessels which supply the blood to the brain. It is mostly occurred due to the atherosclerosis.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Memory loss
- Vision loss
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Behavior problems
- Emotional distress
Diagnostic tests include:
- Blood test to check the clotting function of blood and blood sugar level.
- Physical examination to check the blood pressure and check the reflexes.
- Carotid ultrasound to check the atherosclerotic changes in arteries.
- Cerebral angiogram to check the condition of your blood vessels.
- Imaging test to see the brain images.
Stroke required immediate treatment to prevent the life-threatening complications treatment option include:
- Iv injection of plasminogen to break down the clot.
- Endovascular procedure to inject the drug direct in the brain.
- Remove the obstruction with the help of stent.
- Surgical clipping of hemorrhagic vessels
- Angioplasty to remove the clot