The is the benign cyst which is developed in the breast tissue it is fluid filled cyst. This is not malignant condition. It can occur both unilaterally and bilaterally, it is usually a oval shaped mass with regular edges.
It can occur in one breast as well as in both breasts, below mention are the signs and symptoms of breast cyst:
- Decrease in size of mass after menstrual cycle
- Breast tenderness
- Smooth movable round mass
- Increase in size of mass just before periods
Breast tissue consists of the glandular tissue. Fatty tissues support the breast lobules and glands. Cyst is developed when there is fluid accumulation occur in the cyst. Breast cyst is microcyst which is not feel during physical examination and macrocysts which is feel by palpation.
After taking history and check the signs and symptom your doctor might recommend the tests to diagnosed the cause:
- Blood test to check any other cause like bacterial and viral infection.
- Breast examination to check the any tenderness and palpable mass.
- Imaging test like ultrasound and mammography to exclude the other causes.
- Fine needle aspiration to check the fluid in the cyst.
Small cyst may resolve on its own. But severe and painful condition may require treatment which include:
- Hormonal therapy to reduce the size of cyst and prevent the recurrence.
- Surgery to remove the cyst which make routine uncomfortable.
- Medication to treat the signs and symptoms.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Warm compressor may help in drainage of cyst
- Cool compress reduces the swelling
- Wear well supportive bra
- Avoid coffee and tea
- Take pain killer to kill the pain