It is also known as mastalgia it includes the pain, tenderness and burning pain in the breast tissue. It may be continuing or intermittently. The severity of the pain ranges from mild to severe. It is more common in young adult girls.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Pain during cycle, dull and heavy.
- Pain which is not related to cycle is of burning type
- Cyclic pain radiates to the underarm
- Constant or intermittent
The exact cause of the breast pain is not known yet but it may be assumed that following causes may be involved in breast pain:
- Fatty acid imbalance in the breast tissue may change the sensitivity of breast.
- Hormones imbalance during or after cycles.
- Medication like birth control pills cause breast tenderness.
- Breast surgery also cause tenderness due to the scar formation.
After taking history your doctor might recommend the following test:
- Ultrasound to check any underlying cause.
- Physical breast examination to check for breast tenderness, swelling and any lump present.
- Mammogram for the detail image of breast tissue.
- Blood test to rule out any infectious cause.
Treatment option include:
- Remove underlying cause
- Avoid taking medication which cause pain
- Apply topical steroid to relieve the pain
- Reduce the dose of hormonal therapy
- Take pain killer
Lifestyle and ome Remedies
- Use hot compressor for pain
- Use cooling pad for swelling
- Wear a sport bra
- Avoid caffeine
- Take low fat diet