It is a common injury in children and young people. Collarbone joint the upper part of your breast bone to the shoulder bone. It is mostly occurred due to the trauma, injuries and fall during sports activities.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of broken collarbone:
- Pain across the shoulder
- Bulge near the affected area
- Limited movement at shoulder joint
General causes include:
- Birth injury during vaginal birth
- Fall with outstretched hands
- Injury during sports activities
- Road traffic accidents
If left untreated it may lead to the following complications:
- Delay healing
- Incomplete healing
- Nerve injury
- Blood vessel injury and then ischemic necrosis
After taking history then your doctor performs a physical examination to check the movement at joint, tenderness and swelling at affected area. Then he/she might recommend following test to check the extend of disease:
- CT scan
The main goal of treatment is to heal the broken bone and to established the normal function of joint. Treatment option include:
- Therapy to restore the movement and reduce the stiffness at joint.
- Medications to reduce the pain and swelling and prevent inflammation.
- Surgical might require to repair the broken bone
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
Apply cooling pad to reduce the pain and swelling. Limit the movement at joint by using sling for shoulder.