It is defined as the fracture or crack in one of the bones of your hand some time it involves one or more bones of your hand. It is occurred due to the injury or direct trauma to the hand or fall with outstretch hands.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Severe intense pain
- Swelling at affected area
- Joint immobility
It can occur due to the direct injury to the hand or direct blow. Road traffic vehicle accidents also cause factures. Fall with outstretched hands is also the cause of broken hand.
If left untreated complications include:
- Bony crack and fractures may lead to the joint problem after some year and causes arthritis.
- Nerve damage may lead to the impair function of hand.
- Blood vessel damage causes ischemic necrosis of hand
- Stiffness and deformity
After taking medical history and conducting a physical examination your doctor might recommend the x-ray and CT scan of your hand to check the fracture more clearly.
Fracture required urgent treatment if left untreated it may cause the permanent deformity. Treatment options include:
- Medication to reduce the swelling and pain.
- Immobilization by using cast and slang, to avoid the deformity.
- Therapy to restore the movement and reduce the stiffness
- Surgical procedure need to repair the broken bones sometime in severe damage occur to the bones