It is defined as the infection of the lungs which is mostly occur in the infants and children. It is mostly cause by viral infection. Inflammation causes the obstruction.
Sign and symptoms include:
- Stuffy nose
- Runny nose
- Otitis media
This is the viral infection most commonly cause by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). This virus mostly infects the children and infants during winter season.
It may cause the following complications:
- Low oxygen level in the blood
- Respiratory failure
- Breath apnea
After taking history and perform the examination of your chest to check the wheezing and crepitus and might recommend the following test to confirm the diagnosis:
- Viral test by taking sample from your throat and nose.
- Blood test to check total blood count
- Chest x-ray to check the condition of your lungs
It may resolve in three to four weeks. Antibiotic will not work in viral infections it will help in bacterial infection. Albuterol nebulizer help in breathing by reducing the obstruction. Steroid also help to loosen the mucus which is plug in the respiratory tract and reduce the inflammation.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Humidify the surrounding
- Take plenty of water to prevent dehydration
- Use saline nasal drops for congestion
- Pain killer
- Avoid smoking around the children