It is defined as the tissue or skin damage due to the exposure to sun, chemical, radiation or any electric source. Burns can be mild or severe.
Signs and symptoms depend upon the severity of the burn which include:
- First degree burn. This type only involved the outer layer of skin it only causes pain and redness over the affected area.
- Second degree burn. it may involve the both upper and second layer of skin. Blisters may appear due to this which causes severe pain, swelling and redness is also present.
- Third degree burn. This involve the whole layer of skin including fatty layer also, affected area become black and leave scar, this type of burn damage the nerves and produce numbness.
Below mention are the causes of burns:
- Hot steam
- Hot metal and other objects
- Sunlight for long time
- Hot liquid
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Low body temperature at extreme level
- Bacterial infection.
Diagnosis is made by looking at the site if burn. Your doctor will transfer you a burn unit for further treatment.
Mild or minor burn may resolve on its own and does not required any treatment. Treatment for severe burn include:
- Ultrasound mist therapy to clean the affected wounded area.
- Intravenous fluid to prevent the dehydration
- Pain killers for pain
- Antibiotic to prevent the infection
- Burns cream to heal the burn
- Dressing the area regularly
- Surgical procedures include skin graft and plastic surgery.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Remove tight accessories or clothing from the body
- Cold therapy
- Avoid to break the blisters
- Apply soothing lotion
- Apply burn bandage
- Take pain killer for pain