It is defined as the body immune reaction against the gluten, which is present in the wheat barley and rye. It is also known as gluten-sensitive enteropathy. It starts the immune reaction in the small intestine and damage the lining of small intestine, causes fatigue, weight loss, bloating and abdominal cramps.
Signs and symptoms of celiac diseases:
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Fatigue or malaise
It is occurred when genes combined with gluten while eating wheat barley or other food which contain gluten and make antibodies against gluten. It is the multifactorial disease but exact cause still not known.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Nervous system problems like seizures and peripheral neuropathy.
- Bone weakening due calcium and vitamin D due to the malabsorption of vitamins from the small intestine
- Cancer of intestine
- Lactose intolerance
- Miscarriage or infertility
Following test will help to diagnosis this condition:
- Genetic testing to see the antigens over the human leukocyte (HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8).
- Serological testing for antibody dictation against cells of small intestine.
- Endoscopy to pass through mouth until the small intestine and see the condition of inside the body with the help of the camera.
The gluten-free diet is the only option to manage the disease. Food which contain gluten include:
- Graham flour
Give supplements to prevent the complications:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B-12
- Vitamin K
Steroids to control the inflammation if damage occur is so severe.