It is defined as the normal wear and tear process of the bone with the aging process. It affects the spinal disks between the cervical vertebrae of your neck. It can mostly affect the people with age more than 60 years.
Signs and symptom may vary person to person which include:
- Stiffness in neck
- Tingling sensation
- Weakness due to the spinal nerve compression
- Lack of coordination
- The main cause of cervical spondylosis is aging, due to which wear and tear process become slow, and the cartilage and bone which make your backbone repair slowly after any injury some types include:
- Bone spurs
- Dehydrated disk
- Herniated disk
- Stiff ligaments
Complications due to cervical spondylosis is the compression of nerves root which produce complications like muscle weakness, lack of coordination and bladder function impairment.
Diagnosis can be made by:
- Physical examination to check the movement of neck and stiffness.
- Check the reflexes and muscles strength
- Nerve conduction test
- Check the gait of patient
- Imaging test like MRI and x-ray to check the images of vertebrae.
Treatment depend upon the severity of signs and symptoms. Treatment options include:
- Corticosteroids for pain
- NSAID’s to relive pain
- Anti-epileptic drugs
- Muscle relaxant for muscle stiffness
- Physical therapy to strength the muscles
- Surgical option includes removing of herniated disk and removing a part of vertebra
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Exercise daily
- Apply heat or ice on neck muscles
- Take pain killers
- Worn neck brace