Cholecystitis is the inflammation of the small pear shaped organ of the body known as gallbladder. Mostly gallstones are present in the gallbladder that lead to the blockage of the gall ducts. As a result of that building up of bile occurs which causes inflammation.
Symptoms of this condition include following:
- Intense pain in the centre of the abdomen
- Radiation of the pain to back and shoulder
- Pain in the abdomen when touched
There are number of causes that results in the inflammation of gallbladder
- Bile duct blockage
- Problems of blood vessels
- Gallbladder infections
- Gallbladder tissues necrosis
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of patient. Along with that following tests and investigations include following are done.
- Blood tests
- Endoscopy, ultrasound, CT scan of gallbladder.
- Scanning the movement of bile by hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid (HIDA).
Treatment options include:
- Prevention of dehydration
- Antibiotics courses
- Pain relief medications
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a procedure to remove stones.
- Surgery to remove gallbladder.