Colon is the last part of the digestive tract. Cancerous development in that part is define as colon cancer. It mostly occurs in old age people. Sometime benign condition called polyps developed into cancer.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of colon cancer:
- Unintended weight loss
- Fatigue or malaise
- Bleeding from rectum
- Abdominal cramps
The exact cause of colon cancer it still unknown. Cancer development occur when mutation causes the changing in DNA and then DNA perform an abnormal function which elicit the formation of cancer. Cancer cell has ability to grow in uncontrol fashion and invade the surrounding tissue and spread the distant organs through blood and lymphatic system.
There are many screening tests to diagnosis the cancer development at initial test, this test is recommended for healthy people also. Colonoscopy is mostly use for screening the colon disease and visualize the condition of colon.
Diagnostic test for colon cancer includes:
- Flexible colonoscopy to see the inner condition on colon and take the sample of tissue for biopsy.
- Blood test to check the cancer related specific protein and complete blood count.
Treatment of cancer depend upon the stage of cancer and the overall health condition of patient. Treatment options include:
- Laparoscopic surgery by make small cut at abdomen and remove the cancerous tissue with the help of the cameras.
- Endoscopic mucosal resection to remove large size polyps.
- Polypectomy to remove polyp at early stage.
- Partial colectomy it cancerous is spread to the whole colon then it is better to remove the whole part of colon.
- Radiotherapy to damage the cancerous cell with the help of the radiation
- Chemotherapy same se radiotherapy but use drugs instead of radiation.
- Stop smoking
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat a healthy food
- Maintain healthy weight
- Exercise daily