To have any emotional traumatic experience lead to the period of extreme distress and sadness. Situations like losing a beloved, having financial problems and so many other things can cause anger, grief and period of sadness in people. However, it can vanish with time. But some people can’t get over with the grief and leads to a debilitating condition known as complicated grief or persistent complex bereavement disorder.
- Intense sadness and sorrow
- Problems accepting death of beloved
- Trust issues
- Loss of focus
- Feeling lack of meaning and purpose of life
- Numbness and detachment
Exact cause of complicated grief is not known but studies show it can be influenced by environmental, hereditary and personality factors.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Alcohol and substance abuse
- Major sleep disturbance
- Increase risk of heart diseases and cancer or hypertension
Diagnosis of this condition depends on detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of patient. Usually grief lasting beyond 12 months and continuing to be intense over time is regarded as complicated grief.
Treatment options include:
- Medications including antidepressants.