Signs and symptoms include:
- Pain worsen during deep breath
- Pain during cough
- Sharp aching pain
- Affect more than one rib.
Some causes of costochondritis include:
- Tumors from breast, lung or thyroid may spread to the rib cage
- Injury to the chest
- Physical strain due to heavy exercise
- Infection of joints by virus or bacteria
After taking history of your signs and symptoms your doctor performs a chest examination to check the swelling, tenderness and any physical sign of chest pain. To rule the other causes, he/she might recommend the chest x-ray and CT scan to see any underlying cause.
The main aim of treatment is to reduce the pain. Treatment options include:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce the inflammation and pain.
- Anti-seizure drugs also use to treat the pain
- Anti-depressant also helpful in chronic pain
- Nerve stimulation to mask the pain nerve fiber
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Use pain killers
- Avoid activities which worsen the pain
- Avoid heavy exercise
- Apply hear or ice