It is a mental disorder in which people experiencing a problem of connectivity between thoughts, emotions, memories, and things related to work. It may be developed after any trauma or injury to the brain substance.
Signs and symptoms may vary from patient to patient some common symptoms include:
- Blurred identity
- Memory loss
- Forget the names of family members
- Stress in relationship and work
- Emotional detachment from yourself
The main cause of dissociative disorder is trauma. Children are more prone to develop this disorder after long term sexual, physical, or emotional abuse. Because in early childhood which is the main period of personality development, therefore, they are at high risk of developing the dissociative disorders.
Complications of the dissociative disorder include:
- Suicidal behavior
- Drugs and alcohol abuse
- Impairment of sexual functions
- Personality changes
Your doctor will take your medical and family history and may recommend the following tests to rule out the other causes of above mention symptoms:
- Psychiatric examination. to check your mental health
- Physical examination. To rule out any injury
- Blood test. To check the hormones and other substance which is the basis of symptoms
- Lumbar puncture. To check any abnormality in the neurotransmitter
Treatment options include psychotherapy and medication.
- Antidepressant, anti-anxiety or antipsychotic drugs show the better result in this disorder
- It is a gold standard treatment option for dissociative disorder. This includes talk therapy with your psychiatrist. most of the time patients recovered by only psychological treatment.