Dust Mite Allergy
Dust Mite Allergy
It is the type of allergic reaction that occur in response to small bugs that mostly in-house dust. Dust mite’s habitat is warm, humid environment in the bedding and they feed on human’s skin.
Symptoms appear due to inflammation of nasal sinuses. Clinically sign and symptoms include:
- Itchy and runny nose
- Blue swollen and sunken eyes
- Pressure and pain on face
- Congestion of nasal sinuses
- Post nasal drippling
- Child usually rub nose upwards frequently
- If symptoms combine with asthma it presents with difficulty in breathing, congestion of chest, severe episodes pf coughing
Dust allergies occur when there is formation of special proteins in the body known as antibodies against some allergens which act as antigen for particular person. When antibodies react to those allergens immune reaction is generated leading to the highly activated immune reaction and inflammation in the body.
- Severe inflammation in the nasal sinuses leads to the obstruction of nasal passage making it more prone to infection.
- Severe episode of allergic reactions can sometimes lead to the asthmatic breathing problem which is considered as medical emergency.
After detailed medical history of the onset of reaction and complete general physical examination. Individually nose and mouth examination is done by the doctor. Moreover, allergy skin and blood test.
Main treatment for dust mite’s allergy is to avoid going to the places where you are more prone to come in contact with the allergens. Other treatment includes oral antiallergic medications like antihistamines, decongestants, corticosteroids, leukotrienes modifiers. Some other therapies which could be considered are immunotherapies and nasal irrigation.
- Using bed covering which are dust proof and mite proof helps in avoiding allergic reactions.
- Maintaining hygiene in bedrooms and other bedding areas.
- Giving washable toys to children.
- Vaccuum regularly and keep environment low on humidity.