This is a flu like condition transmitted by bacterial infection through vectors which are ticks mainly.Anaplasmosis is a disease which is also transmitted through tick and closely resembles ehrlichiosis. However, these two conditions have different features that and caused by variable bacteria.Tick-repellents are used as a preventive measure against this disease.
Symptoms mostly arises after 24 hours of active feeding of tick in one’s body and presents as;
- Low grade fever.
- Reduce appetite.
- Pain in muscles.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Pain in joints.
- Mild cough.
This is a Lone star tick borne bacterial infection. The vector lives on host blood and gets swollen many times as compared to original size.During this feeding process tick usually transmits the disease causing bacteria to the healthy host and get the host infected. Before the transmission of disease causing bacteria tick must feed for at least 24 hours.This disease can also be caused by the vertical transmission from mother to fetus or due to contact of healthy person with diseased death animal.
Severe complications occur when ehrlichiosis has been untreated with persistent signs and symptoms for long time. It may have following life-threatening complications;
To diagnose this condition could be challenging as it’s signs and symptoms mimic other tick-borne conditions. However, a detailed history of contact with tick or general physical examination could lead to suspect ehrlichiosis.
- Blood test is prescribed showing decrease in WBCs count, low platelets and distrusted liver function tests.
- PCR test helps to detect defective gene.
- Indirect fluorescent antibody test helps to detect antibodies specific for this condition in blood.
Following treatments are considered;
- Antibiotics against tick borne disease including doxycycline.
- For pregnant ladies rifampin as doxycycline is a contraindicated in pregnancy.
- If you found a tick attach to your body use tweezer or piece of cloth to remove it.
- Be careful when removing tick.
- Use antiseptic solution or soap and water to clean the bite site.
- Check the bite size and monitor carefully if some symptoms appear like inflammation or other signs and symptoms consult your doctor immediately.