Embryonal Tumors Brain Tumor
Embryonal Tumors, Brain Tumor
These type of are malignant tumors of central nervous system that occur in the embryonic cells in the brain. Onset is usually in babies and young children but it can occur at any age. There are various types of embryonal tumors. They are as follows:
- Medulloblastomas: it is fast growing and most common type of malignant brain tumor. It starts from lower part of brain i-e cerebellum.
- Embryonal tumors with multilayered rosettes (ETMRs): It is an infrequent type of malignant tumor which starts from cerebrum- part of brain that controls thinking and voluntary movement.
- Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumors
Some general symptoms include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Imbalance walking
- Weakness and unusual fatigue
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Other tests include the following:
- Neurological exam
- Imaging tests include X-rays, CT scan, MRI
- Biopsy of sample tissue
- Lumber puncture
Treatment options include:
- Surgeries like external ventricular drain or ventriculoperitoneal shunt are done to relieve the pressure of buildup fluid in the brain.
- Surgical removal of tumor
- Radiation therapy