Erectile dysfunction is a condition which is characterized by inability to get and keep erection firm enough for sex. Erectile trouble can occur time to time and is not necessarily a cause of concern. But if this condition persists it can lead to relationship problems and affect self-confidence.
Erectile dysfunction presents as:
- Trouble in getting erection
- Problem in keeping erection
- Decrease libido
This condition can occur due to stress and mental health issues. Various combination of physical and psychological issues are main trigger for erectile dysfunction. Physical issues include; heart disease, atherosclerosis, diabetes, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, parkinson’s disease, sleep disorders, peyronie’s disease. Psychological issues include; depression, anxiety and stress.
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Other tests include:
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Psychological evaluation
Treatment options include:
- Oral medications are prescribed which include Sildenafil, Tadalafil, Vardenafil, Avanafil.
- Testosterone replacement
- Alprostadil urethral suppository
- Penis pumps, surgery and implants
- Penile implants
- less strenuous, regular exercise might reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction
- Psychological counseling