Esophagus is the long hollow muscular tube which connect your mouth to the stomach. Cancer in this tube define as esophageal cancer. It is more common in men than women. Cancer development usually start from the lining of the esophageal tube.
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of esophageal cancer:
The exact cause of esophageal cancer is not known yet but it may be assumed that abnormal cells accumulation as a result of mutation in DNA which make abnormal cells in large quantity developed the cancer formation.
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Intense pain
- Bleeding from the esophagus
- Obstruction make difficulty in swallowing
Diagnostic tests include:
- Barium swallow study to check the changes in tissue of esophagus through x-ray.
- Endoscopy to visualize the inner condition of esophagus and check the obstruction through the flexible endoscopic tube.
- Biopsy of tissue to check the type and stage of cancer.
Treatment depend upon the stage of your cancers and overall health condition. Treatment options include:
- Esophagectomy to remove the piece the of the esophagus which is damage by cancer.
- Surgery to remove the only small tissue which is consist of tumors.
- Provide nutrition through feeding tube
- Relive obstruction by metal stent.
- Chemotherapy to kill the cancer cell by chemotherapy drugs
- Immunotherapy to make immune system strong.