In this condition there is loss of hair which van be from head usually but can be from any part of body. This hair loss can be temporary or permeant. There are different causes because pf which baldness can result.
Major signs and symptoms are as follows;
- Hairs on the top head gradually become thin.
- Hair loss patches appear on the scalp, eyebrows and other areas of body.
- Sometimes scaling appear on the scalp and patches appear which indicates ring worm infection.
- Hair loss from all over the body
- Sudden loss of hairs from any part of body.
Different types of reasons are there behind hair loss;
- Hereditary and genetical cause
- Hormonal changes and other medical condition like menopause, thyroid problem.
- Chemotherapy or radiation therapy
- Different hairstyles that require excessive stretching of hairs.
- Stressful or emotional stress.
Diagnosis of hair loss is done by detailed history and complete general physical examination. Other tests included;
- Blood test
- Pull test
- Scalp tissue biopsy
- Light microscopy of hair shaft that uncover different disorders of hair shaft.
- Different medications are prescribed like minoxidil, Finasteride (Propecia), Finasteride (Propecia) to treat hair loss.
- Other therapies are also considered like hair transplant surgery or laser therapies.
- Use different cosmetic methods to overcome this problem like wig.
- Use coconut or fish oil.