It is condition define as too slow, too fast or irregular heartbeat. Which is cause by the abnormal co-ordination between the electrical activity of your heart. It is also called “Heart Arrhythmias”.
It impairs the normal function of your heart and may weaken the heart muscles. Electrical activity generates at SA node which is called pace maker of your heart then it transfers the ventricles through AV node. Normal heart rate at resting is 60-100 beats per minute.
It does not notice by yourself at home unless your doctor may diagnosis you have an arrythmia during routine checkup. Noticeable signs and symptoms include:
Some causes of arrhythmia include:
- Coronary artery diseases
- Sleep disorder
- Alcohol abuse
Complications of arrhythmias are life threatening which include:
After taking medical and family history of heart disease, your doctor might recommend the following test to diagnosis the type and cause of your arrhythmia:
- Portable ECG device to check the ECG when you have active symptoms.
- Blood test to rule out the other causes
- Routine ECG to check electrical activity of heart
- Stress test to check the worsening of arrhythmia after exercise.
Treatment required if you have severe sign and symptoms due to arrhythmia. Treatment options include:
- Taking drugs to slow heart rate if you have tachycardia
- Strength the heart muscles for powerful contraction if you have bradycardia.
- Implant the pacemaker
- Coronary bypass surgery to treat the underlying casues
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Take low fat diet
- Eat healthy food
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Reduce cholesterol in your diet.