This is a chronic condition characterized by bladder pressure and pain or sometimes pelvic pain. This condition is a part of a group of diseases known as painful bladder syndrome.
Symptoms of this condition are;
- Painful vagina or anus
- Pain in scrotum or anus
- Painful pelvic floor
- Persistent urgency to urinate
- Pain while bladder is filled and relief after micturation.
- Painful sexual intercourse.
Exact cause of this type of cystitis is not known. However, it can be due to factors that disturbs the epithelium of bladder that results in irritation of bladder.
- Reduction in bladder capacity
- Distorted quality of life
- Sexual life problems
- Emotional stress and troubles
Following investigations and tests are done to diagnose the condition.
- Detailed history and bladder diary
- Pelvic examination
- Urine analysis
- Urine cytology
- Potassium sensitivity test
Treatment options include
- Physical therapy
- Medications are prescribed like Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Tricyclic antidepressants, Antihistamines, Pentosan polysulfate sodium (Elmiron).
- Nerve stimulation including transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), Sacral nerve stimulation.
- Bladder distention
- Surgery is sometimes considered like fulguration, resection and Bladder augmentation.
- Dietary changes
- Taking bladder training
- Be active and exercise regularly
- Wear loose clothes
- Quit smoking
- Reduce the exposure of stressful situations