It is the obstructed condition in which there is an obstruction in your small or large intestine which make difficult to pas’ material through it. Obstruction may cause due to the formation of fibrous bands after surgery or from any inflammatory diseases like crohn’s disease etc..
Below mention are the signs and symptoms of intestinal obstruction:
Causes of intestinal obstruction include:
- Twisting of intestine (volvulus)
- Colon cancer
- Fibrous band formation after surgery
If left untreated it may cause the following complications:
- Infection in the abdominal cavity.
- Intestinal Obstruction may cause the obstruction of blood vessels which may lead to ischemia of tissue and organ.
Diagnostic tests include after history taking:
- X-ray to locate the site of obstruction.
- Physical examination to check the swelling and tenderness at affected area.
- Barium enema to evaluate the cause of obstruction.
Treatment depend upon the cause of obstruction and required strict monitoring by hospital staff:
- Barium enema is also used to treat intussusception of intestine along with diagnostic purpose.
- Partial obstruction is sometime treating by giving soft and fiber containing diet if it not corrected by this then surgery may be required.
- Complete obstruction mostly needs surgical procedure to remove the obstruction.