Jock itch also known as tinea cruris.It is a fungal infection that is characterized by red and itchy rashes in warm and moist areas of the body. Groin and inner thighs are usually affected having ring shaped rash. This condition is common in athletes or people who are obese and sweat alot.
Major symptoms are :
- Reddish areas skin on crease of groin
- Spread to upper thigh in half-moon shape.
- Rashes usually are ring-shaped and bordered with a line of small blisters
- Flaky or scaly skin
- Itching and burning sensation.
Jock itch is a fungal infection that is communicable from one person to other. Moist and warm environment is the habitat of this fungus. Athlete’s foot causing organisms can cause jock itch. It can be transferred from feet to groin through towels.
Diagnosis is done by medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Along with this examination of rash, skin scrapings or samples from the infected area is taken for diagnoses.
Treatment options include:
- Over-the-counter antifungal ointment
- Lotion, powder, spray of antifungal nature for one or two weeks