Fibromyalgia is a disorder in which there is widespread pain in musculoskeletal system along with fatigue, sleep and mood disturbance. Studies shows that this condition occur because of amplification of pain sensation due to affected brain and spinal cord.
Sings and symptoms of juvenile fibromyalgia include:
- Widespread dull pain for at least three months
- Frequently occurring headache
- Difficulty in falling and maintaining sleep
- Fatigue and weakness throughout the day
- Digestion problems include constipation and diarrhea.
- Depression and anxiety are common.
Major cause of fibromyalgia is not known till now. However, genetic components is thought to play role in the development of this condition. It can also be triggered by specific events, injuries or illnesses. Pain usually occur because of repeated nerve stimulation that leads to brain and spinal cord changes.
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Some blood tests, xrays are also prescribed to rule out any problem.
Treatment options include:
- Graded exercise therapy
- Counseling like cognitive behavioural therapy
- Medications like Antidepressants and Anti-seizure drugs.
Self-care is critical in the management of fibromyalgia. Some lifestyle managements of this disease are:
- Stress management
- Sleep hygiene
- Be active and exercise regularly
- Eat healthy food and limit the caffeine intake
- Yoga, slow movements, deep breathing can help sometimes.