It is a condition in which your cornea a clear structure Infront of your lens become dome shaped and bulged out anteriorly. In keratoconus cornea changed into cone shaped although its normal shaped is spherical.
The following are the signs and symptoms of keratoconus:
- Clouding of vision
- Frequent changes in eyesight
- Blurred vision
The exact cause of the keratoconus is not known yet but it may be assumed that certain genetical and environmental factors play a huge role in the development of this condition.
After taking history your ophthalmologist will recommend the following test to diagnosis the condition:
- Corneal mapping through computerized method to take the detailed images of cornea.
- Slit-lamp examination to check the other problem in eye.
- Keratometry to check the basic shape of cornea.
- Eye refraction test to check the vision problems
Treatment depend upon the cause of the keratoconus, treatment options include:
- Eye glass to correct the refractive errors
- Contact lenses
- Piggyback lenses
- Hybrid lenses
- Hard contact lenses
Surgical option includes:
- Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty
- Penetrating keratoplasty