It is defined as the hard deposition of minerals and calcium inside the kidney structure which take the shape of stone and become hard. It is also called urolithiasis or nephrolithiasis. They occur in any part from kidney to ureters. It makes difficulty in urination and causes certain type of infection.
Following signs and symptom indicated kidneys stones:
- Burning during urination
- Pain during urination
- Severe sharp pain in lower back
- Pink red colored urine
- Cloudiness in urine
There is no any single cause of kidney stones they formed due to certain dietary and environmental factors like if urine contain more stone forming substances like calcium, uric acid and oxalate and environment of kidney favors stone formation then it formed anywhere between the kidney and the ureters.
After taking detailed medical history your doctor might recommend the following tests to diagnosis the condition:
- Imaging test to take the detailed images of your kidneys.
- Blood test to check the concentration of certain substances in your body.
- Urine test
Treatment option depend upon the size of the stone and the symptoms they produce which included:
For small stones with mild symptoms
- Alpha blockers to relax the muscles of ureters.
- Drinking a lot of water to dilute the urine
- Pain killers
For large stone which produce more symptoms:
- Destruction of stones through sound waves.
- Removal of stones through surgery.
- Correct secondary cause of stone formation like parathyroid gland surgery which increase calcium concentration in the body.
- Using ureteroscope to remove the stones
- Take a lot of water
- Eat less oxalate rich food
- Take low protein diet
- Exercise daily