It is mental disorder in which there is irresistible urge to stealing things which are unnecessary to you. It is an uncommon condition which affect you emotionally. People suffering from kleptomania often lives in shame and guilt and avoid to asked for treatment.
Signs and symptom of Kleptomania include:
- Powerful urge to steal things
- Tension after stealing
- Feeling guilt and shame
The exact cause of kleptomania is unknown. Like other mental disorder kleptomania is also a multifactorial disorder which is occur due to effect of many factors like environmental, genetical and emotional. The root of mental disorders is abnormality in the brain chemical composition like disturbed level of neurotransmitter.
Complications associated with kleptomania include:
- Alcohol abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorder
Mental disorder diagnosis by:
- Fill out the psychological questioning form which is given to you by your doctor.
- Your doctor asked you about your symptoms
- Your doctor might use DSM-5 criteria to check the extend of your condition
Treatment option for kleptomania include:
- Medications like antidepressant and anti-anxiety will help to reduce your signs and symptoms. And opioid derivate will help to reduce the urge to steal the things.
- Psychotherapy is the gold standard treatment option for mental disorder it helps to decrease the negatives thoughts and give you a hope and positvity.