It is defined as the inflammation of the bursae which is present in the joint between two or more bones to reduce the friction. Bursae are small fluid filled cushion like sac present near the joint. Knee bursitis is the inflammation of the knee joint bursae.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Swelling at affected area
- Redness at the knee joint
- Pain during moving with that joint
- Pain during bending of leg
Below mention are the causes of knee bursitis:
- Strenuous activity
- Trauma to the knee
- Bacterial infection
- Certain disease condition like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
After taking history your doctor will:
- Check the condition of both knees.
- Check the tenderness
- Check the skin over the knee joint
- Check the movement limitation
He will recommend the following test to confirm the diagnosis:
- Blood test
Treatment depend upon the severity of condition which include:
- Medication to relive the pain and inflammation.
- Therapy to reduce the joint stiffness and restore the mobility of joint
- Steroids injections.
Lifestyle and Home Remedies
- Apply hot compression
- Apply ice to reduce the swelling
- Rest your leg
- Elevate your knee
- Take pain killers.