A condition characterized by swelling and irritation in the hairs, skin, nails and mucous membranes. Purplish, itchy and flat bumps appear on skin for several weeks. In mucous membrane covered areas like mouth and vagina, lacy white and painful sores appears.
- Flat, purplish bumps on inner forearm, wrist or ankle
- Lacy white patches in mouth or lip and tongue
- Painful, tender sores in mouth and vagina
- Hair loss
- Nail loss or damage
It is autoimmune condition arises when immune cells of the skin and mucous membrane attack own cells and detect them as antigen. This response can be triggered by:
- Sexual dysfunction
- Oral sores
- Oral cancers
- Lichen planus of ear cannal can lead to hearing loss
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Other tests include the following:
- Hepatitis C test
- Allergy test
Treatment options include:
- Medications like corticosteroids, oral anti-infectionous drugs, antihistamines etc.
- Light therapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Oatmeal soaked bath
- Cold compressor application spicy and acidic and food drinks
- Avoid scratching of lesions.
- Limit smoking, drinking and consumption of