This is an infrequent type of cancer that arises in the fat cells of the body. It is considered as a kind of soft tissue sarcoma. This can arise in any part of the body but more frequently affects muscles of the limbs or in the abdomen.
- Lump on the skin
- Weakness of the limb affected
- If in abdomen it can cause; abdominal pain, swelling, loss of appetite, constipation, blood in stool
It is unclear what results in liposarcoma but studies shows when fat cells of the body undergoes mutation in it’s DNA it results in liposarcoma. This mutation will stimulate fat cells to grow rapidly and abnormally which leads to tumor production.
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Other tests include:
- Biopsy of the tumor tissue.
- Advanced laboratory tests like immunohistochemistry, cytogenetic analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization and molecular genetic testing.
Treatments for liposarcoma include:
- Surgical removal of the cancerous tissues
- Radiation therapy