Liver is a organ in the body which is involved in so many vital process of the body and located on the right side of the abdomen. Disease of liver can be inherited or can be acquired.
Sometimes liver disease can be asymptomatic but it can produce signs and symptoms like:
- Abdominal distention and pain
- Dark coloured urine
- Pale stools
- Decrease appetite
- Easy bruising
- Chronic fatigue
Liver disease can be caused by:
- Viral or parasitic infection in the liver
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Primary biliary cholangitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Genetic diseases that affect liver like Wilson’s disease, Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency etc.
- Liver cancer
- Bile duct cancer
- Chronic alcohol abuse
- Non alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Untreated liver disease can lead to life threatening liver failure.
Diagnosis of this condition depends upon detailed medical history and complete general physical examination of the patient. Other tests include:
- Blood tests
- MRI and CT scan
- Biopsy of liver tissues
Treatment options include:
- Mainly liver diseases can be cured just by lifestyle modification like stopping alcohol use or losing weight.
- Some can be treated by medications
- Sometimes surgical resection of cancerous tissues is needed
- Limiting the quantity of alcohol intake
- Avoid consuming red meat and trans fats
- Be active and exercise regularly for atleast 20 to 30 mins